STUDENICA MONASTERY

The magnificent Medieval Studenica Monastery is the mother church of all Serbian shrines. Studenica Monastery was founded around 1190 as the principal endowment and mausolem church of Stefan Nemanja, the minded founder and most powerful and prominent ruler of the Serbian Medieval State, to become and remain the most important of all Serbian Orthodox Monasteries of the rich cultural heritage of Serbia.

This well-preserved 13th century monastic complex of Studenica churches sits at the end of a 12-kilometer road, which begins in the small town of Usce, in the gorgeous, well-preserved natural setting on the wooded slopes of Radocelo, Cemerno and Troglav Mountains.

Within the UNESCO “Man and Biosphere” programme, Nature Park “Golija” joined the biosphere reserve network in 2001 when it was named “Golija-Studenica”. Studenica Monastery Complex consists of four medieval churches, the Lower and the Upper Saint Sava Sanctuaries and the dwelling /dormitory, hospice, refectory/ with the high tower enclosed by defensive walls in a form of an almost perfect circle. Those are : The Church of the Virgin Mary, Saint Nichola’s Church, SS Joachim’s and Anne’s Church /the King’s Church/ and well preserved foundations of the St.John the Baptist’s Church. The oldest and the most significant among Studenica Monastery structures is the Church of the Virgin Mary constructed between 1183 and 1196 in the brilliant combination of Byzantine Cathedral and Romanesque exterior details, entirely representing the so-called “Raska school” of architecture. The facades and sculptural decorations of the Virgin Mary Studenica Church were completed of white polished marble from neighboring Radocelo Mountain /like no other Serbian Monastery/ and crafted by the superb craftsmen-masters from Kotor, the maritime part of the Serbian Medieval State at that time. The exterior of the Virgin Mary Studenica Church is in the Romanesque spirit, while its fresco paintings bear the Byzantine characteristics. The Romanesque elements of the Holy Virgin Studenica Church are decorative façade finishing. The highest levels of the façade are done in characteristic arcade shaped friezes on consoles cut in stone. Monumental Studenica portals are characteristic as are the windows richly decorated by sculpture decorations, magnificent wet portal and particularly triforium on the altar apses, which dominates the eastern part of the Virgin Mary Studenica Church, thanks to its exquisitely carved plant motive decorum and phantasmagoric creatures, as a winged dragon and basiliscus, with a long snake tale. In 1245 King Radoslav added the large narthex with semi-circular chapels at the western side of the Church of the Virgin Mary.

Studenica Monastery enjoyed continual care by the members of the Nemanjic dynasty in the Medieval era, and served as model for the churches of Rascie, and became the royal funeral church. The oldest monumental frescoes of Studenica complex, done by anonymous artist from Constantinople date back from 1208 and represent the corner-stone of the fresco-painting of the entire Byzantine Empire. The most significant amongst all Studenica Monastery frescoes is the most celebrated and monumentalCrucifixion painted on the western wall of the Holy Virgin Church with the exquisite portrait of the Christ featuring the calm facial expression that represents outstanding pain and overwhelming dignity. On the south wall of the Holy Virgin Church of Studenica Monastery there is the “founders’ composition” which shows the Blessed Virgin taking Stefan Nemanja – Monk Simeon the Myrovlyte /St. Symeon the Myrrhbearer/ with the church model to Jesus Christ.

The Church of St. Nicholas was erected in the early 13th century. It is one nave church which is also fresco-painted, but this time by Serbian painters. The King’s Church /Church of Saint Joachim and Anne/ with its octagonal bright red cupola over the graceful architectural structure of the basis of reduced cross was built in 1313. By its artistic significance the Kings Church is the most important amongst shrines of Studenica complex and was named after its endower, King Milutin. The brilliant frescoes of the King s Church perform density of forms and volumetric rendering of faces. Those frescoes were painted by Michael and Eutyches immediately after the construction of the church and especially those that depict King Milutin, his wife Simonida /Simonis/, St. Sava and St.Simeon the Myrovlyte are considered the finest portraits of the middle ages and the master-pieces of the Byzantine art of the beginning of the 14th century.

Exceptional Medieval monument inside Studenica Monastery Complex is the circular wall, which has two fortified gates (churches, refectories, monks’ quarters from the 13th to the 18th centuries), but also extremely significant surroundings. In the protected Studenica zone there is a host of churches and hermitages, the marble quarries from which the blocks for the Church of the Virgin Mary were drawn and the remains of a medieval settlement of quarrymen and stonecutters. From 1986 Studenica Monastery is inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The Holy Virgin Mary Church of Studenica keeps the myrrh-flowing and incorruptible holy relics of Venerated Stefan Nemanja – monk Simeon, as well as other notable Serbian rulers and saints to whom faithful believers venerate and thank in their prayers : Ana – the wife of Stefan Nemanja /the sanctified Anastasija/, King Vukan /the oldest son of Stefan Nemanja/, King Stefan Prvovencani – the First Crowned /the sanctified monk Simon/, King Radoslav /the oldest son of Stefan Prvovencani – the First Crowned/ and other. Prayers, serenity and divine appearances and celestial Byzantine-blue color of the magnificent Studenica frescoes, whose kilo was twice worth than a kilo of gold in Medieval era, make uniqueness of Studenica Monastery complex.
Studenica Monastery complex is the spiritual center of the Serbian Medieval Nemanjic Dynasty harmoniously united with the intact natural ambiance of Radocelo Mountain and features unique spirituality, serenity and warmth. Dormitory of Studenica Monastery /hospice/ has been built several years ago in authentic Serbian architectural style, whose accommodation comfort, related to 3 stars object, within the tranquility of the most significant Serbian monastery and preserved nature boons provides enlightened and pleasant stay to numerous believers and guests. Studenica Monastery Dormitory encompasses single, double, three-bed rooms and multi-bed rooms with bathrooms /some of rooms overlooking the monastery/ that are furnished in massive wood, with icons calling for prayer, according to the ambiance and rules of the shrine. There is spacious dining room in the basement of the Dormitory decorated with photos of Studenica Monastery and other Serbian monasteries and saints, where vegan meals /without meat and dairy products/ or river trout or traditional dishes prepared from ingredients produced on vast monastery property are served. The tiny open porch is especially pleasant spot to enjoy the glass of monastic wine and the spirituality of the entire complex, attributed in the facade whiteness and the wooden construction of the Studenica Monastery Dormitory, providing remarkable harmony.

Studenica Monastery is an outstanding example of a Monastery of the Serbian Orthodox Church and belongs to the highest point of the Serbian history. All of those features make visit to majestic Studenica Monastery a spiritual and cultural invigoration that lasts long.